My initial research for this font was into the word gregarious. I started looking at the idea of things that group together; people, plants etc. I also looked at repetition in surface design and architecture. To me the repeated shapes act in a social way – grouping together. I started to look at ways of representing these initial ideas I had. I came up with the idea of using magnets to spell out a word and then pouring iron filings on top to create a social typeface. I got good results, so that was the basis of my font. The characters also look very organic which is relevant to the original theme of gregarious.