This font was created based originally on the word 'Gregarious'. From that I researched Social Housing in the UK. These are spaces designed to house many people for as cheap as possible. I used compound blocks to create complex detailed flats that stack up as high as a tower block usually would.
This font is based of the theme 'gregarious'. For this I looked into coral reefs and sea anemone, then developed ideas through print making with acrylic paint and sponges. The type face is inspired by the flowing nature of the sea anemone and how some sea creatures/ plants grow upwards towards the sun. Eventually the type began to look more like flames/ smoke than a plant, which I decided to focus on instead. This shows how a project can completely change from the initial idea and just how it is important to always develop further taking into account others opinions and thoughts.
I created this typeface around the theme of gregarious, focusing on gregarious plants. I started with drawing the letterforms in ink using a rolled up leaf. The results were twig-like marks which reminded me of the illustrations from 'A Monster Calls' so I developed the letters thinking how they could work alongside this or another story. The name 'This Wild Earth' is taken from the book and I think reflects the scratchy and bold feel of the typeface.
Social Shadow has been constructed using the shadows of household cutlery from spoons to scissors, knives to bottle openers. The font is based around the theme 'gregarious', (of a person) fond of company, (of an animal) living in flocks/organised communities. The use of cutlery represents the daily ritual we perfom in our 'organised communities', a great social activity. The use of the shadow reminds us that all is only temporary.
My initial research for this font was into the word gregarious. I started looking at the idea of things that group together; people, plants etc. I also looked at repetition in surface design and architecture. To me the repeated shapes act in a social way – grouping together. I started to look at ways of representing these initial ideas I had. I came up with the idea of using magnets to spell out a word and then pouring iron filings on top to create a social typeface. I got good results, so that was the basis of my font. The characters also look very organic which is relevant to the original theme of gregarious.