====[ EDUCATIVE INTRO ]====
At a time when making books was a very time-consuming and labor-intensive process, an increasingly literate 12th-century Europe required more and more books. To keep up with the increasing demand for the spread of literature was a ongoing struggle. Writing materials such as inks, dyes and parchment were very expensive. And it wasn't until the 15th century, when parchment was largely replaced by paper, along with the arrival of the printing press, for it to gradually became cheaper, faster and less labor-intensive.
So it made perfect sense to find other ways to help with this process.
Simplifying a script and cutting back on the decorative calligraphy was the most effective way of doing this.
This led to the development of simplified variations to pre-existing bookhand scripts. One of such forms is littera textualis, categorizing within the Textualis/Textura or simply Gothic bookhand scripts group.
Littera textualis is the simplest and least calligraphic form of textualis. It was developed with just two main goals in mind, to save time and costs. The simplified letterforms could be written much quicker than the more calligraphic and luxurious variations. It offered a more cost effective and faster version to the script. It was often used for less important literary works and academic papers.
It functioned as the standard bookhand script in the Netherlands during the 14th & 15th centuries.
====[ ABOUT THIS FONT ]====
TEXTUALIS BATAVICUM - A calligraphic inspired Blackletter/Gothic bookhand script. Essentially a Textualis/Textura inspired work.
The design mainly follows the concept for a traditional form of littera textualis bookhand script as was described in the intro written above.
It remains a work in progress and I will add update info for this font in the comment section bellow.
Some character still need slight adjustments, but so far I am very pleased with the result. As you can probably notice, the uppercase characters have slight more weight than the lowercase has.
More characters follow soon.
I hope y'all like it
This is my first attempt on drawing a blackletter-styled font. There are many alternates for I couldn't choose between some variations of letters--and some of the lowercases which begin the word look better without that top-left swash. Hope you like this font as much as I liked making it :D
~ Alternates ~
< - Alt. G 1
> - Alt. J
_ - Alt. A
@ - Alt. S
# - Alt. E
$ - Alt. F
% - Alt. G 2
* - Alt. d
) - Schoolbook a
] - initial schoolbook a
[ - initial a
" - initial s
/ - initial e
\ - initial o
Futuristic maze like logotype.
It was designed as part of the renewed visual identity for one of my music labels.This is a clone
At the end of October I decided to dive into the new Bricks 'Connect'. I started with the lowercase 's' & 'a'. Working out what the minimal size I could fontstruct it in, then expanded and condensed it from there to accomadate the rest of the glyths. You can still see these in the font above (Just before the Latin charachters. As I progressed I came to love the thin white gaps, and then tried to have every glyth with some element of the curved white gap in it. Some were more successful than others. As you can see, I have included the less preferred options at the end. I've also designed some of the final glyphs in illustrator, as it was impossible to have all of them with one white line, without help from an external app.
The most difficult glyphs to create and ultimately the most satisfying once completed were the 'V' and '~'.
I liked the look of final font so much, that I decided to create a whole family. Cableguynium 0 (which has Zero cables), CableGuynium 2 (which has 1-2 cables per glyth), and CableGuynium 3 (Which has 3-4 cables).
Unusually I struggled naming this font, I have early versions saved called Flowonica, Rubber Tyre, Ice Skater and Fibropticon, ..... eventually settling on CableGuynium as it was the most memorable.
ANY CRITICISM, GOOD OR BAD IS WELCOMED.
Inspired by trying to thread heddles on a 4-shafter .........
The design uses a lot of nudging, a little stacking and composites, using some of the exciting extended capabilities of the FontStructor.
The font's name is Maori and means "weaving".
This font is as finished as I need to have it at the moment. I'll add a few more glyphs later.